Twitter

Sunday, July 1, 2012

Wat Phu

It’s times like right now that I simply cannot stop wondering how I ended up where I am. I’m sitting in a tiny town called Champasak, in Southern Laos. The sun is setting, and a thunderstorm is rolling over the Mekong River which is right in front of me. And I’m elbows deep in a delicious bowl of Tom Yum. This moment almost didn’t even happen!

I left the 4 Thousand Islands (Si Phan Don) and almost skipped over Champasak. I had originally put this town on my list due to the ruins that it holds. Then, I had decided to skip it to save on time. But at the last minute I thought “I came to see Southern Laos, and that’s what I’m going to do!” So I got my ticket – and jumped on the bus. 

BOY AM I HAPPY I DECIDED TO STOP IN! I got into the town in the afternoon (after 2 boat rides, and a minivan ride) and as I stepped onto the land, I found a man who owned a guesthouse with cheap rooms (think $4.00USD) and a free Tuk Tuk ride to get there! Whelp, I can’t say no to that. So I hopped on his Tuk Tuk with a “Khob Jai” and he laughed and told me my “Laos Speak – very good!”
Once at the guesthouse, I had a quick lunch of a chicken sandwich (everything comes in a baguette!!!) then I grabbed a motorbike tuk tuk from across the street and headed to the reason for my stop: Wat Phu Champasak (a national world heritage site).

I rode through town, passing mini Wats, and it looked like we were headed straight towards the biggest mountain in town. Oh, well guess what – WE WERE!!! We stopped at the foot of the mountain and my driver said “I wait here”. So I got my ticket, and went in. 

I had no expectations what so ever of Wat Phu. It wasn’t like Angkor Wat in Cambodia where EVERYONE has visited and I kinda know what to expect. This was simply breathtakingly beautiful and perfectly serene.
I started up the green pathway towards the base of the mountain, with old stone markers on each side of me. Then in front of me were two huge stone ruins. One on each side. One was boarded up so I couldn’t go in – but the only one was OPEN SEASON! Of course, I scrambled right in, snapping pix and climbing over rocks (stones). 

Then I headed up the mountain – which was the best part! The “stairs” were stone ruins from the Wat that they used to make the steps. On one landing was a great view – but there was still more to climb! So up I went. The top part was even more gorgeous. There was a hidden temple, and I got to go all around and through it. I saw the hidden spring, and even the Elephant Stone! I couldn’t find the Crocodile Stone though (but apparently it’s hard to find anyways). 

Everything here was so lusciously green. There were bugs I had never seen before – I stayed away, because with my luck I would get some crazy infection from a bite! There was almost no one there and it was simply peaceful. The views were breathtaking – some of the best views I have EVER seen and the whole experience was simply breathtaking. 

I am BEYOND satisfied that I stopped in Champasak…as I am sure many people pass it by.
Here is lonely planet’s description of the Wat:

“…Wat Phu Champasak is one of the most important archeological sites in Laos. It was built in the 6th  century as a tribute to the Hindu god Shiva; it may have been the blueprint for Angkor Wat and other Khmer Temples in Cambodia.
The complex is divided into lower and upper parts…The lower part consists of two ruined palace uildings at the edge of a large square pond used for ritual ablutions. The upper section is the temple sanctuary itself, which once enclosed a large Shiva. It was later converted to a Buddhist Temple, but the original Hindu sculpture remains in the lintels.”

Ok - time for pix, right??

Entrance way to the Ruins


Steps to the upper level...they were stones, and VERY steep!
Temple in the upper area

The spring



View from the top!
Elephant Rock

 




What detail!!
Sabaidee,
Apes :)

No comments:

Post a Comment