Twitter

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

UXO Museum

Before I left Phansavan, I stopped into the World Education Laos museum. It is to help support survivors from Unexploded Ordanances (UXO). These people make cloth products; t-shirts, wallets, keychains, and buying them helps to support their medical costs. The museum has a short film that features survivors, and you can even get a massage from a survivor.

I took a picture of a sign, and it was a cartoon showing examples of  where/how they were injured...

-a young girl saying "i was walking to school"
-a young boy saying "I was playing with a ball"


And others just as similar. How depressing! You couldn't even play outside without feeling unsafe.

I also looked at one of the books on display "Voices From The Plains" and I read a story about a Monk that was shot down, because he "wasn't yet in the holes". I didn't understand that until I learned that they lived in holes to protect them from the bombs. Another passage read that many of the person's family died because they "didn't yet have holes".

There is also a chalkboard that is set up, and every time a new person is injured, they name goes on the board. 20 names were added just last year.

 All this was done by America.

-Apes

No comments:

Post a Comment