Twitter

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Guesthouse or Roachhouse?

So before I got to Phonsavan, I met a girl in Vientiane who gave me a gusthouse recommendation. Since most travelers share the best and worst guesthouse experiences, and I hadn't been let down before, I went with her suggestion for Phonsavan.

Night 1...when trying to charge electronics, I kept getting shocked. I figured all my stuff was wet from VV, and it was my fault.

The next day I checked out and went to get a bus to my next town. On my way out, I was given the info that there's only 1 bus a day, and it's early in the morning. Alright then....looks like I need the room again. Instead of going back to my original room, I chose the next price down. I understood it to mean I was sharing a bathoom. No biggie, it was one night. I could deal.

Night 2...I set my alarm and head to bed early. I'm finally asleep only to be woken by the sounds of roach legs scurrying around in the trashcan. So I freak out and put the trashcan in the hall. Then I wrap myself up FULLY in my cocoon travel blanket and slowly fall back asleep. Then it happens again...so of course there is NO CHANCE IN HELL that I am going to be able to get back to sleep. So I go into the lobby, lights are off and no one is there. I can't even go outside for fresh air as they have locked the main door.

...So here I am, midnight unable to sleep in my own room. But don't worry...I am NOT in that room. There was a key on the reception counter, beside the log book. I checked the log book, and the key is for the room of the 2 guys that I met in VV that shared my van to this town. I check the check out date, and they were already checked out, and no one new had checked in...of the whole guesthouse since the day before.

So yes, I took the key and now I'm sitting in the unoccupied room. I've checked for bugs, and didn't find any but don't really feel that comfortable trying to go back to sleep....

Let's hope these next 7 hours go by quickly and bugless.

I will definitely be springing for a $15usd room in the next town.

Sabadii,
Apes

No comments:

Post a Comment