Twitter

Sunday, July 1, 2012

Been There, Don Det!


Yesterday, while on Don Det, Kristy and I woke up and took a tour out to the see Khon Phapheng Falls…the LARGEST waterfall in SE Asia, by volume (not height). We took out boat (ferry) to the mainland, then a tuk tuk over to the falls. 

We knew we were at the falls first by the sound. Nothing but crashing water. What a refreshing sound! We got out of the tuk tuk and followed the sounds of the falls. The site was unbelievable. The water was coming in from 3 different areas, all crashing together at the bottom, then becoming calm as it moved down river. I stayed about an hour just climbing the rocks, seeing how close I could get, and then just letting the sites and sounds wash over me. I took a video for the pure sake of capturing the sound.

After the water fall, we headed back to the mainland for lunch and a break. I spent the break laying on the hammock reading from my Kindle. It was quite a peaceful afternoon at the bungalow.
Then it was time for the next part…a charted boat! You ever charter a boat? It’s pretty awesome! Kristy and I laid around in our boat for the 3 hour ride, taking in being in Cambodia and Laos water. To the left of us was the mountains of Cambodia, and the right, was the flat-ness of Laos. We stopped halfway through and got out on one of the islands and spent some time relaxing and exploring before we finished the tour of all the islands. 

It was still rainy season, so the water was high – some of the islands only had the tips of the tall grass reach the surface! I am sure we floated right on top of some of the islands! In the low season, I am sure it is hard to maneuver through all the islands! 

Afterwards, we ended out day with some AH-MAZE-ING BBQ! Pork Chops, mashed potatoes, and a delicious salad – with a Beer Laos. Our tour guide, Dang, met us for dinner – and bought Kristy and I a few drinks until the electricity shut off. It goes off about 10pm every day. Then we headed back to the bungalow – relaxed, fat, happy, and exhausted!

Sabaidii!!
Apes :)

No comments:

Post a Comment