Twitter

Monday, January 16, 2012

Teachers Day

This weekend is a 3 day weekend. Why? Does Thailand celebrate MLK day? No silly, Monday is "Teachers Day". They honor the teachers and close all the schools on Monday. So how did I celebrate? A small trip to a little town close by...

Khanom.

Khanom is less than an hour away, and is home to beautiful secluded beaches that are out of the path of tourists. I went with another teacher at my school, Angie. She taught in Khanom for 4 years before coming to Surat Thani. So we stayed at her "Thai family" house. The house in on the school grounds, and reminded me of a secluded jungle cabin. When we got there, Angie fixed us some lunch (egg, sausage, tom yum goon) and since it was pouring rain, we spent the day reading and relaxing. It was quite zen, with the souund of the rain, and the wooden windows propped open. Once the family came home, they cooked us some Thai food (luckily it wasn't too spicy for me) and had some drinks before we retreated to our beds for the night.

When we woke up on Sunday we had hoped for sunshine so we could make it down to the beach and hunt for the pink dolphins (and I could work on my tan) but no such luck. It continued to rain, and was just a gross day. Once the rain lightened up some, the family took us into the town so I could see what Khanom was all about. They took us to the various beaches, and while it was overcast and rainy, I could still see how they would be gorgeous once the rain stopped and the sun made an appearance.

After we explored the rainy town, we headed back to have some Chicken Soup and Green Curry for lunch, then headed back to Surat.

It was a short trip to Khanom, and while it rained the whole time - now I know how much I want to go back for when the weather is hot and sunny.

Sawasdee Kha,
Apes :)

No comments:

Post a Comment