Twitter

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Chopstick Evolution

Back in my freshman year of High School, I learned how to use chopsticks. My history teacher, Mr. Sledge, brought in chopsticks and taught us how to use them. I am not excatly sure how it tied in to whatever the lesson was, but that is probably the MOST useful thing I learned in High School.


After my days at Great Bridge HS, I continued to use chopsticks...sushi and chinese food mostly. Well, I would start my Chinese food with chopsticks, then of course fall back to my trusty fork as chopsticks took WAY too long to use while trying to vacuum up dinner with my mouth. But, I still felt I had a pretty good grasp on how to eat with them.

http://global3.memecdn.com/How-to-use-chopsticks_o_91213.jpg
Yes, this is how I ate Chinese with Chopsticks.
Then came the plan to move to Thailand. I was all "SCORE! I already know how to use chopsticks, I AM READY!" Then it turned out that I only ever got to use chopsticks when ordering noodle soup.

Then came Korea. Now, I came here thinking my chopsticks skills were super par since I could now eat noodle soup with them. Well, let me tell you. Chinese food, Sushi, even noodle soup has got NOTHING on me now.

Here are some foods that I now can eat properly, using chopsticks:

Rice (that's easy because it all sticks together)
Corn (yes, I'm talking about loose corn kernels on a plate)
Apples
Pancakes (yes, REAL pancakes)
Korean BBQ (it involves making a lettuce wrap)
Fried Chicken
Tofu (yeah, try that out without it getting sliced in half!)
Crab Legs (yes, they meat is still in the shell!!) - most impressive food yet!

So, thank you GBHS for the warm-up of using chopsticks, but thank you Korean for perfecting it. 

You live and you learn....Ghamsamnida,
Apes :)

No comments:

Post a Comment