Twitter

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Thailand vs. Korea

So everyone keeps asking me which I like more, Thailand or Korea? So here's my assessment:

Food:
- Both are spicy. After living in SEA (Southeast Asia), Korean food doesn't seem as spicy as I would probably think if I hadn't lived in SEA. So, I can eat Korean food with ALMOST no problem. Thailand does have more flavor, and I do crave my favs; Massaman Curry, Tom Yom, and of course my Gai Tawt and Cow Nyow. However, I do have some favs here too; Bibimbap, Bugoggi, Koren BBQ.
- Thailand: the tradition is to share food.
- Korea: the tradition is to get 15+ side dishes no matter what you ordered.
- 1 meal is Thailand = $1usd
- 1 meal is Korea = $10-$15

 Thailand gets the win.


Weather:
- In Thailand: it is summer YEAR ROUND! That means you can "beach it" WHENEVER YOU WANT.
- Thailand and rainy season? It's a joke. 
- In Korea: all four season take place. That means beach weather, AND snowboarding weather. 
- Korea and rainy season? Oh, that's almost EVERYDAY!

Thailand...another point.

People:
- Thailand: Always happy, smiling, and genuinely nice.
- Korea: no smiling (against their culture), friendly, drink during the day (its their culture).

Thailand squeaks out another point (even with Korean's day drinking).

Prices:
- Thailand: a giant dollar store
- Korea: cheap electronics (from what I hear), but everything is over a dollar.

Thailand again.


Language:
- Thailand has 5 different tones....aka "cow" has 5 different meanings depending how you say it.
- Korea has NO tones!

Korea has finally made it onto the scoreboard.

Lifestyle:
- They are both Asian countries, FYI so it is similar.
- Thailand: more laid back, more markets, everyone is "outside centered" (due to the weather), Buddhist
- Korea: more strict, less holidays, more drinking

Thailand gets another point.
 
Landscape:
- Thailand: Temples and Buddhist statues everywhere, islands
- Korea: Mountains, islands, rolling hills

Korea with it's second point!

Teaching:
- Thailand: Make your own lesson plans, give assignments, give tests, record grades, record attendance
- Korea: Point and Click from a CD, play a game, no tests given

Korea for the ease of teaching!

Ok - so let's round up the scores:
Thailand: 5
Korea: 3

Yup, I could already tell you that as of now, I like Thailand more. I don't dislike Korea by ANY means, I find it quite interesting and a great adventure. Remember, I have only been here for 3 weeks...so maybe I will fall in love with winter and it will surpass Thailand/SEA in "Apes points". Only time will tell...

Ghamsamnida,
Apes :)

No comments:

Post a Comment