Twitter

Monday, September 24, 2012

What I am getting paid to do...TEACH!

So now that I am in week 3 of teaching, here's a little about my schools.

Monday-Tuesday: Jinan Girls Middle School
This school is about a 10 minute walk from my apartment, which isn't bad so far. I have all the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd year middle school girls. I have 2 classes each of them. So on Mondays I have 3 classes, and Tuesdays I have the remaining 3. The class sizes are about 20-30 students, so not too big. The girls are SHYYYYY though. I figured with no boys in the class they would participate more, but nope! One class doesn't talk at all! For these classes, I teach the first 4 pages in each chapter and then play review games. There is a CD that I follow also, so I show up and click around on the computer while the students do the work.

Wednesday: Ocheon Elementary School
For this school, I take the bus in the AM. It is about a 5-10 minute ride, and I catch the 8:30am bus. I have 2 classes. My first class is both the 3rd and 4th year Elementary School students, and I teach them for 2 periods. One week I teach out of the 3rd year book, and the next week I teach out of the 4th year book. Weird, I know. For my next class, the 5th and 6th years I also teach for 2 periods. But this time I teach out of the 5th year book for the first period, and then out of the 6th year book for the 2nd period. I am finished teaching by lunch, and then I have the afternoon to work on my plans for the following week.

Thursday: Jeung Seng Elementary School
For this school, I get picked up in town and driven to the school. Works for me! I teach 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th year elementary students. Each class has about 7-10 students, and I again just follow the book and CD.

Friday: Donghyang Elementary School
 This school has me taking the bus again, and I ride with one of my students. I teach the same grades here - 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th year students. This is my favorite school. The classes are small still - all less than 10 students. The students are all playful, and love me - each week a different class asks me to lunch. They dance on their breaks, and have me playing games with them between classes. I am finished again by lunch, then after lunch I head home on the bus. I am home by 2:00pm each Friday :)

At each school, I am given lunch - and so far, I always love it! The lunches consist of rice, soup, a spicy dish, and a vegetable. Sometimes there is fruit, or even sweet ice tea (southern style!!). Since I am at a different school each day, I won't be eating the same style every day. The soups are usually my favorite :)

Also, at each school I don't wear shoes. I get to school, and change into "slippers" that are provided. At my Friday school, I only wear slippers on the first floor, then I have to take them off to teach on my floor. Yup - teaching in socks! That means I need some THICK, WARM socks (hint hint).

Ghamsamnida,
Apes :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment