Twitter

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Merry Chuseok

Nope, not Merry Christmas - MERRY CHUSEOK! Thanksgiving for Korea - who woulda thoughts that Korea would have Thanskgiving too! Theres is a little different than American Thanksgiving (but a little of the same as well).

In Korea we got Monday off work, and Korean travel to their home towns to spend a long weekend with their families. Kinda like in America! BUT - no turkeys and stuffing, and no talk of pilgrims and indians.

While we got Monday off, there was also a Holiday on Wednesday - so my town cancelled the Tuesday classes. That means....A 5 DAY WEEKEND!!!! WOOOO HOOOOO. 

So what did I do for it?

Originally I was going to visit my Thailand Tesol buddy, Kim, over in Japan or my Polish buddy, Bart, over in Hong Kong...but then I checked airplane tickets. Looks like I'll have to take a rain check on both of those visits.

So I ended up making no plans - which worked out PERFECT!

Friday night I met up with some new girlfriends in Jeonju and went to a beach party! While there, I ran into a Jinan-ite (like myself), Tony, and met his friend, Mike who was visiting from Seoul.

Satrday since I was in the city - I got some apartment shopping done, and then headed home to sleep off the night before. Then I met up with Tony and Mike for some pizza and we headed over to my friend Sam's house to hang out while his friend Megan was visiting from her town. Apparently it was "bring a friend weekend" and I didn't get the memo!! Oh well...

We ended up staying at Sam's till about 2am playing games, and listening to Mike play his guitar. Sunday we were all going to meet up to go hiking on Maisan Mountain (horse ear mountain) but my body was too exhausted. So I met up with the 4some for dinner, and then we headed off to...NORIBON!!! That's Karaoke for you westerners. We spent a few hours drinking and singing our hearts out in our private room. Afterwards, the party moved to my place, and turned into a You-Tube DJ party until everyone passed out.

Monday Megan went back to her town, and Sam and I went to Seoul with Mike. We got in late Monday night, and met some of Mike's friends before we turned in for the evening.

Tuesday we got up and it was ADVENTURE TIME!! Where was our first stop??? Putting some "Seoul" into our "Gangnam Style". Yeah - see what I did there?? Well, check out what I did here...
Hey...sexy lady!!!
After lunch and afternoon coffee in Gangnam, we headed to one of the many shopping districts where we spent way too much money.

Once it was dinner time, we headed back to Mike's neck of the woods and met up his band, and another band, grabbed some street food and headed to the park to listen to the 2 bands do a jam session. It was great just relaxing in the park, and the Koreans who came and went seemed to really get into the music as well.

Then on Wednesday it was time to head home. We had gotten a small taste of city life, got some western errands done...but it was back to the slow life of the country for me and Sam.

Gamsamnidah,
Apes :)

No comments:

Post a Comment