Twitter

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Welcome back...to Surat, and to School!

Well, I'm all settled in Surat.

Last weekend was my first real weekend back. Friday night I headed to the Tattoo Parlor to see some of my favorite people in Surat. It was a great time, of course. Some fellow teachers joined and got to meet the "tattoo group" and I was happy to catch up with Eve and the group. And as it turned out, Saturday was Eve's birthday! So we all got to sing her happy birthday at midnight. I love going to that place. I might not be able to speak their language too well, nor them mine, but I always feel warmly welcomed and like it's a little bit of home. That's weird to say - I don't hang out at tattoo parlors at home!

Then on Saturday was the "teacher's welcome party" at the infamous Tigger's place. All the teachers from Surat, new and old, got together for some drinks and mingling. Many of us stayed late into the night having a great time catching up. It was fun to be a "returner" this year and to meet all the new people. It was a great time, but it does make me a little sad to know that I will be gone soon and not around to hang out with them more. Guess I'll have to make the most of it!

And then on Monday the students were back at school! As I walked into school, I had a bit of a shock...I forgot how big my students are! After teaching little munchkins in Myanmar, it was weird to see all the students at my shoulder height! Before my first class I started getting a little nervous - which was silly since it was a class I taught last year! But I went in, and all was fine :) I didn't see any "new students" of mine until Tuesday, but even with that class I knew a handful of them from my photography club last term. I will be sad to leave my students, but I think I am a little burned out from teaching right now so hopefully they will get another high energy teacher in the classroom.

Next weekend is my last weekend in Surat....then it's TRAVEL TIME! I need to get my plans together....so many places to go - and 2 months to do it in :)

Sawasdee Kha,
Apes :)

2 comments:

  1. That's so cool to read about! Hope you are having a great time back home. I bet a lot of people wish they could have the adventures you are having! :)

    I heard you mention that you taught a photography class. Do you have any good Internet resources that teach the basic concepts of photography? People are always asking me. We have local classes, but many are fairly expense. I was hoping to find a go to place that can meet their basic needs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike - it was more of am after school club, and I just gave them assignments of what to take pictures of each week and then they presented them to class. Check with my Dad - he'd be the one to know about online resources with that.

    ReplyDelete