Twitter

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Underwater Adventures!

This weekend I went on my FIRST scuba diving trip EVER!!!!!!

Friday night Becky, Shannon, and I headed to Koh Tao on an overnight boat and landed ashore Saturday morning. We got checked in, settled, and our dives paid for.

I started off with meeting my teacher - Ellie from Scotland - and I was her only student for the day! Since it was my first time, she was good at putting me at ease, and taught me all the necessary precautions as well as a few others (since I expressed wanting to come back to finish my license). 

We did some "class room work" then she took me to pick out my gear (YAY WETSUIT) and practice in the pool.  We spent about an hour or so in the pool, then we broke for lunch.

After lunch we made our way to our diving boat. I was the only person doing the Discovery Dive, so I had to stay on the boat during the first dive. I watched everyone go down, and then I laid around on the sundeck. About 45 minutes later....everyone resurfaced and it was time to go to the next dive spot...

RED ROCK! I was diving at red rock, and after Ellie showed me our course, and different underwater creatures we'd see...it was time to suit up and jump in!!

Here is my adventure in pictures...

Getting suited up before my first dive!!!
Layout of where I'll be diving
1.2.3....JUMP!!!!
A-Ok...let's get this started :)
Starting to descend underwater.
Getting Schooled
Just keep swimming...
These things were my FAVORITE! If you get close and wave at them, then suck themselves back into the ground
Blue Barracuda....but no Silver Snakes or Green Monkeys :-\
I'M ON AN ADVENTURE!!
Shannon and me goofing off underwater
Diving is cool :)

Back to being a land-dweller!
After dive photo with my awesome instructor, Ellie!   
When I first got in, I couldn't get my body to equalize, so it took me FOREVER to get past 5 meters. I didn't enjoy that part and at one part I thought I wouldn't be able to complete the dive. BUT once I FINALLY got equalized, it was great! I have never been somewhere so quiet before. It was simply magical down there. The fish didn't pay you any mind, you were just left to swim around and see all the beauty underwater.

So now I have complete my first dive. I will go back in a few weeks to complete my Open Water Certification...which means 4 more dives then I'm certified!!!! :)

Sawasdee Kha,
Apes :)

1 comment: