Twitter

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Transition....Myanmar to Thailand!

Welp, I AM HOME! And by home, I mean BACK IN THAILAND!!! I LOVED my time in Myanmar, but I cannot be more happy to be back in Thailand!

I flew into Bangkok Friday night, and it was a VERY eclectic group of people on the plane. There were Burmese people, Thais, Westerns - and of all kinds! Backpackers, red necks, businessmen, etc. I'm sure my oversized stuffed Gorilla added to the mix quite nicely!

I couldn't have had any better of a time in Myanmar - and I had the BEST people to experience it with! So for those who follow - here's a little shout out:

- To my housemates: I can't get 30rock on the TV at any time here! You ladies were awesome, and I loved all of our family meals, electricity blackout hangouts, errand trips, cooking, balcony drinking, and other memories that we shared. You guys made the house more than a house, you made it a great home!
- To the other teachers: - I'm happy our paths crossed when we did, as my school in Thailand just isn't as fun without the Ukele, random snacks, and conversations over "Z" and "Zet". Good luck in all your travels, and I hope our paths cross again!
- and of course, To my roommate/travel buddy/teaching partner/etc**: I don't know why our school put us together in ALL aspects of our time in Myanmar, but I definitely lucked out in having you as my other half. You made my time in Myanmar such a great Sont Sar Khan and when I think of Myanmar I will no doubt always think of you...camping, puzzle solving, whiskey smuggling, birthday celebrations, closet sharing, sleep talking, Myanmar pillow talk, 50th street crazy times, and so much more that I can't remember or can't post on the internet :) Thank you for helping me find parts of myself that I have been missing for a while. Enjoy your newest adventure in your village and keep being the star of the SEA-Game Show! :)

Ok, enough sap stuff.

I didn't realize how little I had in Myanmar until I went back to Thailand. I felt as I was back in civilization...

I stepped off the plane, and headed STRAIGHT to SUBWAY!! As we ate a food that I hadn't even realized was missing from my life, Kerry asked if I was crying. Why yes, I was. IT WAS JUST SO GOOD! A sweet onion chicken teriyaki sub, COLD ice tea, and a white chocolate macademia nut was sensory overload. They of course were happy tears, my body just couldn't deal. I can't imagine what will happen when I land on American soil again...

Next we hopped on the Airlink - PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION WITH AC. Another thing I didn't realize I missed....then onto motobike taxis. I felt like a little kid again.

----------------------------

A few things that I realized Myanmar didn't have but Thailand does:


- Internet: Thailand has Wi-fi everywhere! In my hotel, I was able to actually be on the internet while sitting in my bed!!!!

- Phones: I put baht on my phone and phoned my REAL home...Mom and Pops over in the USA! And I texted people...TEXTING! My fingers didn't know what I was doing! Myanmar charged $250USD for a sim card. Yes, that is TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY US DOLLARS! Needless to say, I didn't have a phone there. Made it interesting when making plans with people...

- Food: Both countries have food (OBV!) and good street food, but only Thailand has "fast food chains". That means what I can find in Thailand; Subway, Burger King, KFC, Pizza Hut, McDonald's, Swenson's...I cannot find in Myanmar as of yet. Yes, no comfort fast food when your hungover!

- 711. No, they do NOT exist in Myanmar. There are "108" shops...which is the closest you can find. Thailand has 711 on every corner...they are like the Starbucks of NYC. When I saw the first one in BKK I was like, "I HAVE TO STOP" but then I saw another, and another, and another...

- Bad English. Ok, I shouldn't say bad...just very broken English. Thailand has this...Myanmar has GREAT english! I didn't have to break down my English into "where toilet?" in Myanmar. The same cannot be said for Thailand.
----------------------------

Eventhough I didn't have all that available in Myanmar, I didn't need it! I didn't even realize how simple and un-western the country was until I saw what Thailand was.

I know soon enough though, that will change. Myanmar just got ATM's, and wi-fi at the airport...it won't be long before the Myanmar that I fell in love with will be just as westernized as Thailand is.

Sawasdee Kha,
Apes :)



**betcha didn't see that "feelings" stuff coming did ya?.....BOOM!

No comments:

Post a Comment