Twitter

Thursday, March 1, 2012

Visas, Pear, and Cold Showers

What a whirlwind of a week so far!

My weekend was full of friends, driving ranges, rooftop drinks, poolside lounging...and ended with a trainride - to BANGKOK!

I headed up to Bangkok on Sunday night to get my working VISA for Myanmar/Burma. I am teaching an English Camp for 8 weeks during my holiday, so I have to get all my paperwork taken care of. So once in Bangkok I headed straing to the Embassy. I was SUPER early, so I stopped at a coffee shop for breakfast and a nap. Then I headed over to the embassy and the line was LITERALLY OUT THE DOOR! If was out the door and down the street. UGH. This was going to take forever. After about an hour, I had paid for my VISA, got my receipt for pick-up, and met 2 people that I would be working with. SUCCESS!!

Then I headed over to the Siam area (HUGE shopping area - 3 malls!) to meet up with a favorite from home - PARADEEEEEEEEEEE :)

She was in town visiting her family, as her uncle was getting surgery (and it was a success!!) so we were able to meet up for the day. We enjoyed lunch, shopped around for books (for her) a new bag (for me) and caught up on each other's lives.


*While sitting at lunch, we saw a man walk past us with no pants - as in he had on a shirt, backpack, shoes, NO PANTS!!! - Only in Bangkok!

Then we went back to the Emabassy to pick up my Visa - now I am OFFICIALLY prepped for my teaching trip. Super stoked!!!

Then it was time for me to get back to the train station and head back to my town.

What a whirlwind trip - but it was GREAT to see Pear, and get a little feeling of home :)

Once back in Surat Tani (2 nights on a train - I was exhausted!) I had to prepare for my move. Yup - moving from my awesome apartment to a townhouse with my friend Julie. Yes, I know it's only for a week - but I needed to move out anyways to avoid paying for an apartment for a full month and only living there for a week.

I moved all my stuff in last night - and am settled until I head to Burma. The downfall? COLD SHOWERS - AHHHH. No one here cares that I am just now getting cold showers, apparently I'm a late comer to THAT game. So this morning I woke up, jumped in the cold water - and it wasn't TOO bad. That's probably because I took one last hot shower in my old apartment last night before I moved, and put my hair up. So this morning I didn't have to wash it.

What makes up for my cold shower? THE MORNING MARKET! At the end of my street, there is a market every morning - coffee stands, sweet sticky rice, breakfast pastries, fried dough, etc. And since I have to go there to grab a tuk tuk anyways - I can snag breakfast while I wait :)

Before I close - I have to give a shout out to a blast from the past. BOOBBBBBBBYYYYYYY!!!! He's my latest follower, and one of my awesome residents my first year being an RA at Longwood. He went on to be "a big man on campus" and getting involved all over the place - makes me proud :)

Sawasdee Kha,
Apes :)

No comments:

Post a Comment