Twitter

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Wrapping up this term

Whelp, it's my last day in Surat Thani until next semester. Today I leave here and head to Bangkok on the overnight train, then I fly out tomorrow to BURMA for 8 weeks teaching at an English Camp. I am excited, but sad to be leaving Surat.

This last week has been a whirlwind of fun and goodbyes. I've had to say my goodbyes to some really awesome people that I know won't be in Surat Thani next term; Megan - my work wife, John and Janet, Julie - my housemate, Birney - the yang to my ying, and others.  Luckily, I still have a few people that I enjoy hanging out with; Tigger, Francis, Evan, etc.  

Since getting my new tattoo, I've been adopted by the tattoo parlor (don't worry pops, I haven't been waking up with anymore random ink) and have been hanging out with them. The other night Eve (Dew and Eve are the owners of the shop) threw me a party - she told everyone I was coming by to say goodbye, so the group came from near and far (Don traveled 30km to see me off!!) The night was awesome - Dew had canceled all his appointments for the following day so he could hang out and Eve told me that when I am around I make everyone so happy. So of course I now don't want to leave them. I ended up staying till 5am, at which I FINALLY went home. During the night, as Dew was cleaning up the shop and getting ready to have a drink, he did his nightly prayer/offering and prayed for me for safe travels. He did the prayer over a shot of whiskey, so it was a special shot for me to drink. It was such a sweet moment, so touching that he wanted to make sure my travels are safe and that I come back soon.


The group that came out to see me off :)

P. Dew and my special shot that he prayed over.
Me and Eve
These 2 are way too awesome for words.













His name is Rambuttin - and if you ask him
where Mesa is, he will come find me :)



I also spent last week at Surat Thani Bike Week I met a guy named Banana on Friday night, and he took me riding. Then on Saturday, I rode over to Bike Week with the Tattoo Shop group.  Here's a shot of that...
Surat Thani Bike Week 2012

I wish I knew more thai words so I could tell the tattoo group how much I enjoy being around them.  But I'm sure it comes across, even with the language barrier :)

So that ends my first semester in Surat Thani. I am super excited about heading to Burma on my own, but I am sad about leaving those that I got close with this term - and I'm sad to be leaving Thailand even though I know I'll be back in 8 weeks!!

I'll post up again once I am safe and sound in the land of Myanmar :)

Sawasdee Kha,
Apes :)
 



No comments:

Post a Comment