Twitter

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

American T-Day in Korea

Yup - it happened. I had a REAL Thanksgiving abroad. Now I know last year in Thailand I had a Thanksgiving dinner...but without Turkey and Football, it feels just like a big dinner. BUT NOT THIS YEAR!!! Here's how my Thanksgiving went down...

Friday after school I hopped on a bus to Seoul. I met my friend Mike at his friends' house where they were having their Thanksgiving. So I dove right in and had some Mashed Potatoes, Pumpkin Seeds, Green Bean Casserole, Bread, and some Chicken (no turkey for me...YET!).

Then on Saturday I got up and headed to my THANKSGIVING ADVENTURE!!!!

I met at the bus station where I befriended the other 4 people waiting for the "thanksgiving train" (no, it wasn't a REAL train, it was a figurative one). Anyways, once the bus arrived, we hopped on, and new friend Dave offered us some Wild Turkey and some Miller Lite. Of course, I was first in line.

Starting Turkey Day with some Wild Turkey!

Once we picked up the rest of the people (including my girl Julie from Jeonju, and her beau Brandon) we arrived at our "Thanksgiving Palace". A 4 building log cabin area for just us Waygooks (foreigners)!!! Once we arrived, we checked into our rooms (mine happened to be above the kitchen) and dropped our bags off.

Our Thanksgiving Cabin!
The chefs had been hard at work since 11am, and the smells were already quite homely. We toured the other cabins, and tapped the kegs for pre-dinner drinks...as dinner was still HOURS away.

Once the 2nd bus arrived with the rest of the Waygooks, we hoarded into the cooking house for dinner....only to be told that it would be another hour. AHHHH - we were DYING for some Thanksgiving dinner.


FINALLY dinner was ready...so the lineup started. Our plates filled up with the following:
Get in line, dinner's ready!

- Salad (with RANCH!!!)
- Bread
- Stuffing
- Cranberry Sauce (REAL sauce, with nuts and raisins!)
- Gravy
- Deviled Eggs
- Mashed Potatoes with Garlic
- Green Bean Casserole
- Ham
- TUUUUUURRRKKKKKEEEEYYYYYYYYYYY

Plate 1 of 2 :)
Yes. That's right. We had Turkey. And LOTS of it. Turkey Turkey Turkey. It was more delicious than I remember. Maybe because it's been TWO YEARS!! Now, if I was on a no-turkey diet, I would be impressed with no turkey for 2 years, but I'm not. It's just not a regular dish in the countries I have recently lived in.


And for dessert there was pumpkin pie and apple pie!

Once we had our plates, it was time to get comfortable and dig in! After the prayer, of course. I am sure my pops will be proud to know that I led our group in a Thanksgiving prayer :)

So after I scarfed down plate 1 of Turkey and sides....it was on to plate 2. And that's where it went downhill.....I stuffed myself so full I couldn't move. I don't even think I got my plate in the trash before my body went to sleep. Actually, I KNOW I didn't. I woke up from a "long blink" to find my plate still on my lap, so I shoved in some more delicious ham (I had finished off the turkey on my plate LONG before the rest of my food). That probably wasn't such a good idea.

I had made a friend with another new-to-Korea girl, Rachel, and she was suffering as much as I was. We thought a walk would make us feel better...so we bundled up and headed outside. It helped a little...just enough to fit in a S'More once the bonfire started. But that was it....we were down for the count after that. We missed a whole night of partying thanks to our bellies! UGH!

Just enough room for a fire-roasted marshmellow!
BUT - as it turned out, many people had the same problem....BUT they solved theirs. Apparently at about 2am, most people woke up from their food coma ready to rage...and rage they did till about 6am, I'm told. I of course, slept right through it. Oh well. I woke up with no hangover (or at least not an alcohol induced one).

In the morning, it was breakfast time...which in true Thanksgiving fashion was leftovers! But - there was also pancakes, sausages, fresh home fries, eggs, coffee, and hot chocolate.

"Thanksgiving Family" - Julie, Brandon, Dave, Me, Mindy, Rachel
I was able to nibble on some of the breakfast - but not as much as I normally would have done! I was still too full from the dinner the night before!

Afterwards, we waddled to the buses and headed out...

Whelp - Thanksgiving, you did it. You made me feel like a fat American, even after 2 years away from you. Thank you. I hope I never eat that much again.

BUT I did walk away with a bottle of Ranch ;)

Happy Thanksgiving!!!
Apes :)

No comments:

Post a Comment