Twitter

Friday, November 25, 2011

Thai-giving

So with this being my first Thanksgiving out of the country, and it being my first in 3 years that I didn't host my annual Potluck Thanksgiving, I was excited that some of the other Farang in town wanted to have a Thanksgiving celebration on Thursday night.

On Wednesday night I headed to my favorite dinner market: Sam Pow Thong and got the ingredients for Grandma Mislan's layer salad; Carrots, Lettuce, Peas, Bacon, Onions, Mayo. That's right, deliciousness in a bowl!!

Thursday the bad news came...Thanksgiving was cancelled. Something about the rain. So I decided to make my salad and eat it on my own. Hey, it's not Thanksgiving without it! When I got home, UGH, the lettuce had frozen! So I just ended up eating the carrots with Ranch (via Shannon) and the bacon on its own.

I woke up about 2am Friday morning, and sat on my Skype watching my family scarf down on Turkey, Mashed Potatoes, Gravy, Bread, etc. How did I get even? I taught them how to say 'fart' in Thai. :)


So Friday was potential Thanksgiving #2. The Chinese teachers has invited us to a Thanksgiving dinner. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I was determined to go anyways. So I hailed a Tuk Tuk and BOOM. He drops off the other passenger and then shows me 80baht. He was telling me he would take me to the address for 80baht. I said NO, 20baht (normal Farang price). He said no. I asked him to take me back to where he picked me up, and he said 20baht. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!? YOU PICKED ME UP AND DROPPED ME DOWN THE STREET! So I got out and started walking. I called my fellow teacher, Angie, and told her the story. I told her I wouldn't be able to make it since it was apparently 80baht each way. She sent someone to pick me up, and I headed over with my new ride. But I was already upset about the whole ordeal.

BUT when I showed up, lo and behold...there it was: MASHED POTATOES, GRAVY, STUFFING, ROLLS, CORN (on the cob), GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE! No turkey though, but grilled chicken, which I was still happy with. Ah....I was a happppppy camper. And camping out was exactly what I was doing at that table. In between my football talk with an older Boston man, I ended up going through 2 plate fulls of food. After grace (yes, I said Grace 2 times in ONE day DAD!!) we all said what we were thankful for.

The table had a mix of Thai's, Chinese, American's, Englishmen, and a Filipino. Turns out, it was an English Christian group that put the dinner together, and the we had come as guests of the Chinese Teachers.

After the dinner, there was even dessert. CHOCOLATE CAKE. AND GOOD chocolate cake. MMM.

One of the Chinese teachers and I got into a talk about cooking, I was saying that I didn't have a kitchen, and she offered hers up. So it looks like I will be making dinner for some of them coming up soon. I am thinking Chili, because I know I can make that here. I also plan on a Mexican meal - but I have to wait for Baloo to send over the Flour Tortilla Shells from America...he said he was sending some months ago...so if anyone is reading this, please feel free to send some.

I am feeling Thanksgiving Fat, and Happy. I will sleep good tonight, and can wake up and go on a run since I finally have my running shoes back!!!

Sawasdee Kha, and Happy Thanksgiving!!!
Apes

No comments:

Post a Comment