Twitter

Thursday, March 20, 2014

Things I've missed

When I was home I felt like I hadn't been in Asia for SUCH A LONG TIME.
But, since I've been back, I feel like I never left....but I have realized the things I missed (well, the Burmese things I've missed).

- Tea Leaf Salad (La Peto)
- The language (I love being able to spit out random phrases - it comes back so easily)
- Longyis (the traditional skirts won by men and women)
- The friendliness (the people haven't been corrupted by tourism JUST YET)
- The motorbikes (ahh, I love riding them)
- Hippie Style (backpackers in full hippie attire)

But while I do miss MANY more things about Myanmar, there are things I DON'T miss (the dust, the no wifi, etc)....but there are even more things to notice now.

In 2 years, things have started to change:

- There are ATMs all over.
- The overnight buses are (apparently) SUPER nice (as in, personal video players at each oversized, padded seat)
- The largest currency bill is no longer 5,000mmk, they have added a 10,000mmk bill!!!
- The prices of EVERYTHING have gone up
- THERE ARE TOUR BUSES! As in, buses full of foreigners are constantly checking into the hotel, and tons are being driven around and through Mandalay.
- I have friends actually passing through the area and crashing on my spare bed!

While the traditional Myanmar is still around, you can DEF see the different in the country now that the borders have been open a few years. I hope it doesn't change too much more, as the country was so amazing before the western world has started to get it's hands on it.

Here's to hoping that Myanmar keeps it's traditions alive...

Mingalabar,
Apes :)

No comments:

Post a Comment