Twitter

Monday, March 31, 2014

It's been a few weeks here...

So I've been in Myanmar for a few weeks and I've done a LOT!

I've been to Mandalay Hill and watched the sunset with the other teachers.

Niko (from Vietnam) came to visit, but it was my first weekend, so I didn't know too much for us to do. My has that changed!

I met some other foreigners in town, and have of course made friends!

I've found the (little) nightlife here in Mandalay...which became useful when...

Chris (from Prague) came to visit and I took him to meet the other teachers for a night out in Mandalay. Then he and I rented motorbikes and explored the tiny country villages during the weekend. We ended up at a monastery, and had an audience with the head Monk. Then we found a tiny village on the water and had some drinks and snacks on the water. That night we met up some of the foreigners for a BBQ Party and met other travelers coming through Mandalay. The following day, I had arranged to rent a boat for the afternoon, and of course, invited everyone we had met throughout the weekend. There were about 18 of us, and we loaded up on the boat around 3pm, and set sail. We turned on the music, opened the beers, poured on the sunscreen, and focused our cameras. And off we went! After about an hour or so, we docked at Mingun, and explored some ruins and temples (and I got some postcards, so some people will be getting mail soon!). Then we took a dip in the water while we waited for everyone to gather back at the boat. Once we re-grouped, it was time to head back to the mainland. Back at the dock (after the sun had set), we headed to a rooftop restaurant for a gorgeous view of the river and of Mandalay City. Chris ended up staying a few more days, and I believe he enjoyed his time MUCH more than Niko did when he visited.

The following weekend we went on a school trip to the surrounding areas:
- Inn wa (city of gems): we went to Me Nu Okkyaung Monastery and Bagayan Monastery.
- Mingun: we saw the Mingun Bell (2nd largest bell in the WORLD!)
- Sagaing: we went to the Kaung Mu Taw Pagoda
- Amarapura: we went to U Bein's Bridge (longest teak bridge in the world)

Those are the biggest attractions in Mandalay, and we got to hit them all in one day, in an air-conditioned van (which was nice in the 100+ Farenheit heat).

So while I haven't posted in a while...it doesn't mean I've been sitting around. I've been out and about. I'll try to post up some pix here soon so you can see what I've been seeing!

Mangalabar,
Apes :)

No comments:

Post a Comment