Twitter

Sunday, March 9, 2014

My adventures to Myanmar

So I've left many countries to go to many other countries. I've been patted down at airports, missed flights, and even been told I don't have enough room in my passport to stamp my exit visa.

And this trip was no exception.

I get to the airport in DC (Dulles) and check in with Etihad Airlines, with no problem. Well, I did have to weigh my carry on bag (which was weird) but still, no problem. I get settled in my seat, and then I hear it...SCREAMING babies. Not crying babies, but SCREAMING. And there was a group of them. And they didn't stop screaming ALL flight. Yes, a 12 hour flight and there were screaming babies. FOR ALL 12 HOURS. But alas, I watched my in flight movie, and tried to sleep. Mostly, I just had my eyes closed and listened to the music.

Landing and getting to the next gate was uneventful. I even got a blanket, water, and juice in the waiting area. Then....9am rolled around. My flight was leaving at 945am. No sign for boarding to begin, no notices that the flight has been delayed. But, there was a lone Etihad worker with a growing group of people asking about the flight. Then, at about 10am we were told that the flight was delayed until 1pm. Hmm...about 3 hours AFTER it was supposed to depart. Well, I had ANOTHER flight in Thailand (booked separately through Air Asia) that I needed to get...as there is only one flight from BKK to Mandalay a day. Well, once we FINALLY boarded the plane (at 1:45pm, at a DIFFERENT GATE) I KNEW I wouldn't be making my flight in Thailand.

So we land in BKK and I head straight for the baggage/customer relations desk. They end up booking me (free of charge) on the flight for the FOLLOWING day, and then comp me a room at the Novotel Airport Hotel, AND comped me a dinner at the hotel. THE HOTEL WAS AMAZING. I had 2 beds (which seems to happen to me alot), a BATHTUB, shower, cable, view of the airport (which was actually really cool), and then spent the afternoon at the hotel pool. Yes, it was fancy. For dinner they served a Thai Buffet....but then also had sushi, and cheesecake, and tons of fresh fruit. Yes, I didn't mind my unexpected BKK stop at all.

The next morning I made my flight with no problem, and then when I landed...A NEW ADVENTURE AWAITED! I got off the plane, and there was no "Mislan" or "Horizon School" sign. Which meant, there was no one there to greet me and take me to my hotel or the school. Soo....I had to message a friend who was coming the day after me, and he sent me the number to the main campus in Yangon.....a completely different city then where I was to be working. So we called that campus, and they gave me the cell phone number of my principal and I called him directly. He THEN called a taxi company and they came and got me.

They took me to the school to meet the 2 other teachers...THAT WERE ON MY FLIGHT! They had a sign with their name on it, and they didn't know who the 3rd person was supposed to be, so they left the airport.

So, now I am here in Mandalay, and settled in my Hotel Room for the next 2 months....but it's all about the adventure, right??

Mingalabar,
Apes :)

No comments:

Post a Comment